Match Reports

ESL 16/09/23 - Sporting Bengal United vs Little Oakley FC

FT: Sporting Bengal 2-1 Little Oakley The tenth league game of the season saw Bengal up against 6th place Oakley who were only 4 points behind with 2 games in hand. It was expected to be a difficult one at the MES and that’s exactly what it was, especially with key first team players missing such as Murad, Keanu, Ant, Sam and Liam. Both teams missed chances in the first half but in injury time, skipper for the day, Carvell, whipped in a teasing cross from a corner which was headed in by Sheri Artmeladze! Five minutes after the restart, keeper Sidi cleared a ball which was stopped with his hand by Oakley’s Harry Mann and then knocked in to an empty net! Astonishingly, none of the officials managed to see the clear handball. 1-1 The game was frustrating for both teams as the referee was very busy unnecessarily where he could’ve let a lot go. It was looking to end in a stalemate but then Carvell played a teasing diagonal ball from left to right towards Sheri who expertly took it down on his chest to beat the defender and then buried home the chance to give Bengal a 2-1 lead! Fantastic goal and it was that Carvell Sheri combo that unlocked Oakley again. Sheri had chances to get a hattrick but was denied. Fortunately for Bengal the defence held strong for the remaining minutes to take home all the points! The huge win keeps Bengal in 4th place but closes the gap to the top. Next game in 2 weeks so a well deserved break to rest up.

ESL 13/09/23 - Sporting Bengal United vs Takeley FC

FT: Sporting Bengal 5-1 Takeley After three consecutive draws, Bengal went into the game against Takeley looking for a much-needed win to continue pushing the teams at the top. Early in the game, Sheri dazzled into the box, weaving in and out making it dangerous for defenders to put in a tackle. After beating the defence, Sheri cut across the box where Sam Edwards pounced on Takeley’s inability to clear the danger. Sam smashed it in to make it 1-0. The lead didn’t last long as Takeley headed in the equaliser only two minutes later. Chaka Barnett was on the receiving end next of another Sheri dribble as the winger tucked home to retake the lead for Bengal. Chaka was alert for the next opportunity as Sidi’s long ball was challenged by Rian. Chaka one step ahead latched on to round the keeper and make it 3-1 at half time. More of the same was the message at the break and that’s exactly what we got when Chaka floated one over the defence out to the right wing where Sheri beat the offside trap to meet the ball. As the ball bounced, Sheri hit an audacious volley from a tight angle over the keeper and into the net! A stunning finish. 4-1. Into injury time, Modou picked out Salim who sent his marker to the shops and created huge space for Sam who took a touch to set and then fired a right foot bullet into the top left corner! Outrageous finish from the skipper. Great performance all over the pitch as Bengal move into fourth in the league.

ESL 09/09/23 - Stanway Rovers vs Sporting Bengal United

FT: Stanway Rovers 1-1 Sporting Bengal Having beaten their bitter rivals Stanway Pegasus in the Playoff Final last season, Stanway Rovers welcomed Sporting Bengal with open arms at the Hawthorns in Colchester. But it was straight down to business when the whistle blew. We squandered an early one on one chance through Rian and then Murad’s header was stopped point blank by the Rovers keeper. It was just a matter of time until Bengal got punished and that’s exactly what happened when Freddy Tandon, ex Sporting Bengal captain, got on the of end of a corner to give Rovers the lead! The centre half was having a good game leading from the back. When Rovers did attack, they were stopped by Sidi Haidara who made 3 brilliant saves! Into the second half, Bengal looked to stage another comeback but were missing chance after chance. In the hottest day of the year, it was difficult but the never say die attitude continued as Keanu was fouled in the box by Tandon and Bengal were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Sheri who tucked it away in the bottom left corner with 5 minutes to go. It was a very eventful last few minutes as both teams had chances as the game was end to end. But neither team could find the winning goal and the points were shared.

ESL 06/09/23 - Sporting Bengal United vs West Essex FC

FT: Sporting Bengal 1-1 West Essex Back under the lights at the MES, Sporting Bengal in fourth were up against West Essex who came into the game unbeaten and third in the Essex Senior League. The first half saw Bengal relentlessly pressing forward, controlling possession, and creating numerous scoring opportunities. However, against the run of play, West Essex managed to break the deadlock just moments before the halftime whistle. It was a clinical strike that caught the Sporting Bengal defence off-guard, sending the visiting fans into jubilation. The second half witnessed Sporting Bengal intensify their efforts, seeking to restore parity. Their persistence finally paid off in the dying moments of injury time when the returning hero, Chaka Barnett, seized the moment. Liam won the header to flick on to Sheri who burst past his man to cut back for Chaka. Barnett exhibited composure and finesse as he found the bottom left corner, igniting wild celebrations amongst the home supporters. As the final whistle blew, both teams left the field with one point to show for their efforts. Sporting Bengal showcased their dominance throughout the match, but West Essex's resilient defence and opportunistic first-half strike prevented them from securing a victory. The Mile End Stadium bore witness to a dramatic contest that showcased the unpredictable nature of football. Sporting Bengal's fans left with mixed emotions, relieved to see their team salvage a point but longing for more after a spirited performance. Meanwhile, West Essex celebrated their disciplined display and valuable point earned on the road. Next up, Stanway away!

ESL 02/09/23 - Romford FC vs Sporting Bengal United

FT: Romford 3-3 Sporting Bengal Fourth in the league, Sporting faced league leaders & favourites, Romford. Romford took the lead after the referee overruled the assistants offside flag! Steven Carvell was presented with a free kick when Taylor was bundled over. The skipper's strike was too powerful for the keeper who ended up fumbling it into the back of the net! 1-1. But a minute later, a misplaced back pass was pounced on and buried! 2-1 Romford, all the hard work undone. Fighting back is part of the DNA at Sporting Bengal and the continued pressure allowed Salim to drive into the box where he was taken out! Penalty! Sheri tucked away, 2-2. Romford were denied by world class goalkeeping from our #1, Sidi. Into the second half, Carvell picked out Sheri who collided with his marker but the advantage was presented to Rian on the left who drove towards the box and fired across where Salim delicately touched it beyond the keeper! Stunning goal. 2-3 Bengal. Romford pressure pinned Bengal back and then got the luck they needed when it appeared the ball had gone out but was missed by the officials. The cutback was scored. 3-3. The refereeing was questionable and it didn't get much easier for the referees when it appeared a Romford player was brought down in the box with a tackle. The assistant flagged for a pen, but the ref saw the ball was won first & waved play on. With Bengal carrying as instructed, the Romford bench screamed. On the counter, Dami was through on goal and bizarrely, the referee stopped the game mid attack! The ref spoke to his assistant and the decision was no penalty. Questions were raised on why he decided to stop the play! Into injury time, after good link up play by Carvell & Salim, Kay found himself free in the box with just the keeper in sight! With the Bengal fans ready to celebrate, the keeper made a stunning save! Wow. If that wasn't enough drama, a Romford counter saw the shot fired over! Full time. Great game of football filled with controversy and goals!

ESL 28/08/23 - Barking FC vs Sporting Bengal United

FT: Barking 1-3 Sporting Bengal After two weeks off, we were back in action away to Barking FC on Bank Holiday Monday. Bengal started strongly and created an early chance when Dami found debutant Rian on the left wing with a beautiful diagonal but the winger unluckily hit the post! Would’ve been the best start for the birthday boy! Opportunity after opportunity followed but they were wasted. Sporting could’ve had a few more runs at goal had it not been for some curious officiating by the assistant referee. The missed opportunities and decisions almost cost Sporting as Barking created a rare chance when a point blank header was saved spectacularly by Sidi Haidara in the Bengal goal. World class! Just before the half time break, Dami won the ball in his own half and played a great ball to Carvell who was clear through on goal. The playmaker kept his cool and tucked it beyond the keeper to give Bengal the lead at the break! Into the second half, Murad and the defence kept Barking quiet from mounting any real pressure. In the 74th minute, Sheri was put through on goal but was taken down by the last man! Red card for Barking. Carvell stepped up for the free kick on the edge of the box and hit a sublime clever free kick low and hard under the wall to completely baffle the Barking goalkeeper! Carvell’s on fire, your defence is terrified! Simply too good from the Bengal #10 to double the lead. The game was wrapped up a minute later when Salim picked up the ball and ran at the Barking defence. The winger picked out Sheri who dribbled into the box, sent his marker wobbling left right left right and fired into the bottom left corner! 0-3 Sporting Bengal. In injury time, Barking grabbed a consolation from the penalty spot but the game ended 1-3 and a massive three points for Sporting Bengal which takes us up to fourth in the Essex Senior Premier Division. Next up is an away trip to the league leaders, Romford FC, which will take place at the same ground. Massive game!

ESL 15/08/23 - Tilbury FC vs Sporting Bengal United

FT: Tilbury 3-1 Sporting Bengal In what was a tough away fixture, we settled pretty well in the first half and was rewarded with a brilliant goal when right back Keanu won the ball back in the Tilbury half, went past the defender and fired a long range drive into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box! 0-1 lead at the break. Sporting started the second half well, looking comfortable in possession. But in the space of a couple minutes, the goalscorer picked up two yellows just on the hour mark and was sent off! Both decisions were pretty contentious! Going down to ten men changed the game completely. Tilbury stepped up a gear and with a man advantage, took full control of the game and scored three quick goals! 3-1 FT. Unfortunately the defeat was the first of the season and ends our record unbeaten run of 18 games. It’s been a remarkable run. Next game on Wednesday at Mile End Stadium!

ESL 12/08/23 - Sporting Bengal United Vs Buckhurst Hill FC

FT: Sporting Bengal 1-1 Buckhurst Hill A very poor performance way below our standards in the first half meant that we went into half time 1-0 down. Liam came on for the second half and brought us energy and fight up the pitch. We missed chance after chance but eventually and inevitably in injury time, a Carvell corner wasn’t dealt with and the resulting clearance fell to left back Ted Buchanan who hit across the box and into the bottom right corner for the equaliser! We could’ve secured the three points seconds later but Sam’s volley went just wide! Disappointed with the result but under the games circumstances, relieved to come away with a point and still unbeaten in the league. That’s five games in a row where we’ve come from behind to get a result. Will need to get a medical check up soon at this rate 😫 7 points in 3 games. Up next is Tilbury away on Tuesday.

FA CUP REPLAY 08/08/23: Stansfeld FC Vs Sporting Bengal United

EMIRATES FA CUP EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND REPLAY FT: Stansfeld 1-1 Sporting Bengal Pens 6-5 After the eight-goal thriller at Mile End Stadium on Saturday, it was time to go again in a Replay away at Stansfeld. The first half was much more quieter in contrast to the first game but Stansfeld did take the lead midway through the second half. Having missed chance after chance, it seemed as though Sporting wouldn't find a way back this time. But into the ninth minute of injury time, Alagi found the back of the net to take it to extra time! Unbelievable as we found another equaliser in stoppage time! With both teams leggy in extra time, it went down to a Penalty Shootout. Unfortunately, that's where our FA Cup dream ended as Stansfeld won 6-5 in the shootout! It was a tough one to take having been the better team but an incredible effort to keep coming back in both ties and despite being a short journey in the FA Cup this season, it sure has given us a lot of memories! We concentrate our efforts back on the league this Saturday where we will look to make it 3 out of 3 and continue our 100% record so far. Come down to Mile End Stadium! It’s likely to be another memorable one.

FA CUP 05/08/23: Sporting Bengal United vs Stansfeld FC

EMIRATES FA CUP: Sporting Bengal 4-4 Stansfeld SBU Goals: Matthew Ball 13, Sam Edwards 16, Kachi Yassine 62, 90+4 Stansfeld Goals: Tommy Whitnell 1, 9 Dan Parkinson 11, 65 Attendance: 102
Another game, another comeback! If you want entertainment you need to come to a Sporting Bengal game. We’ve made a habit of coming back and this game was no different. Goals, red cards, injury time drama, this game had the lot. The scene was set at Mile End Stadium for a big game, a good crowd were in, fuelled by the somosas & pakoras that were being sold at the Tuck Shop. It was Stansfeld that started the brighter. So much so that they raced into a 3 nil lead within the first 11 minutes, a combination of poor defending and clinical finishing gave the South London outfit a dream start. Mile End was stunned, surely the 'Tigers' would show some heart and desire at home. The fightback was almost immediate as Mathew Ball nodded in from a Steven Carvell set piece to pull a goal back. Sam Edwards was on hand a couple of minutes later to further reduce the deficit, what a crazy 20 minutes! The crowd had certainly got their monies worth. 3-2 to Stansfeld at HT, Sporting still had work to do! The goal came when Sporting equalised on the hour mark with a poachers finish from Yassine who followed in a speculative shot from Liam to slot home. 3-3, surely the momentum was with the home side? Another twist! Just as Sporting looked to gain the ascendancy, Stansfeld were awarded a penalty. Despite keeper Sidi Haidara’s impressive record, Stansfeld went ahead once again. In the aftermath a Stansfeld player was involved in a melee and saw red, away team now down to 10. Sporting now ratcheted up the pressure. Injury time approached, and it seemed Stansfeld had done enough to hold on. However, Sporting have that never say die spirit! With 94 minutes on the clock, Kachi Yassine picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box, nutmegged his defender, and fired into the top corner with a rocket! Cue ecstatic celebrations from the players and fans a like, Sporting had rescued another game in the dying seconds! Sporting now travel down to Chislehurst on Tuesday for a replay!

ESL 31/07/23 - Ilford FC Vs Sporting Bengal United

FT: Ilford 2-4 Sporting Bengal The fixture schedule is rough! 48 hours after beating Great Wakering away from home in the first game, we were up against Ilford FC on the road – albeit a lot closer to home this time! Nevertheless, it was going to be another tough game. Bengals dominated the majority of the first half and looked destined to score when a three on one attack was halted when it appeared the Ilford defender had clattered into Sheri in the box. Chance squandered. No penalty given. It was the turning point in the half. Within the next minutes, Ilford punished Bengals and went 2-0 up out of nowhere. The packed Cricklefield Stadium erupted! The half time break was messy. Frustration. Anger. Fire. The second half would either get ugly, or the fans in attendance would really get their monies worth! Within 3 minutes, Modou found Sheri with a great ball. The winger’s first touch followed by a thunderous strike was too much to handle! 2-1, game on! The momentum was in Bengals favour, but the Ilford fans were still confident in their team, dismissing Bengals fans as crazy when suggested they would come back to win. Little did they know? 56 mins, midfielder Dami played in substitute Elliot who pressed the keeper into an error to make it 2-2! Three minutes later, Dami showed his class again as he won the ball back, drove towards the box, shimmied left past the defender, and fired across a low driven beauty into the right corner! A stunning goal by the MOTM to complete a remarkable 14 minutes comeback! 2-3 Murad then played a long ball towards Alagi, the winger knocked it down towards the path of Sheri who made a good run past his marker. The Georgian then calmly slotted in past the keeper to make it 4-2 after 61 mins! Cricklefield was silenced. Jaws dropped. A blistering comeback by Bengals! Unbelievable. Another three points secured which puts Bengals top of the Essex Senior League! @essexsenior The next game is massive. It’s the Emirates FA Cup at Mile End Stadium! We urge all fans to come down to support. This team is really developing into a special one this season with a lot of quality on show. Miss it, Miss out!

ESL 29/07/23 - Great Wakering Rovers Vs Sporting Bengal United

FT: Great Wakering Rovers 1-2 Sporting Bengal In our first game of the season back in the Essex Senior League, we were up against Great Wakering away who played Step 4 football last season. This was a tough opening fixture to the season. In the first 20 seconds we conceded a penalty but Sidi Haidara pulled off a spectacular save to his left. With plenty of opportunities being created without many chances at goal, the half ended 0-0. However, we gave away another penalty straight after the restart. Once again, Sidi Haidara stood tall in goal and pulled off a remarkable save! This time down to his bottom right. Unfortunately the keepers heroics couldn’t continue as a powerful free kick went in off the post after Sidi got a hand on it. 1-0 down. On came Sherri off the bench having nursed an injury recently. The Georgian immediately got into the game, causing havoc down the wings. In the 79th minute, Alagi found Sheri on the run who took it past his man on his first touch and then shimmied past two more and fired a thunderous strike into the back of the net! 1-1 With the momentum in Bengals favour, we kept attacking in search for the winner. Into the fourth minute of stoppage time, Alagi was brought down in the box having looked destined to score. Clear penalty. New Club Captain, Sam Edwards, stepped up to take the penalty but was saved. Thankfully the referee had spotted the keeper had stolen a few yards off his line and a retake was the right decision. This time it was Sheri who stepped up to take the penalty, full of confidence. Sheri smashed it into the roof of the net to secure three massive points in the Essex Senior League!!